What is Howloween?
Howloween is an annual event that invades the hallows of the Metro Vancouver area every Halloween time, catering to furries and friends who appreciate a great time with a spooky twist! The event started as a Halloween party in a basement over a decade ago and has been hosted by multiple venues(and hosts), but with one common thread: A Frightfully Furry Party!
Much more than just a party and often called a mini furry convention, Howloween features a full day and two nights of spooky furry fun, including two dances hosted by talented DJs, fursuit games, events, art games, game shows, lots of hangout space, and general spooky fun. Many have called Howloween their first furry event and people of all ages, interests, and backgrounds are welcome. Any kind of public-friendly costumes are encouraged, but street clothes are perfectly fine too. The only requirement is an open mind and a desire for a good time!
<Revised November 3rd, 2021>
Running a large group event these days requires some rules to keep everyone safe. While no rules will fully protect you from Covid19, we believe the instructions below will help everyone to enjoy themselves as safely as possible. These rules apply to every attendee, staff member, panelist, DJ… everyone!
As an indoor gathering within the province of BC and hosted in the Executive Hotel Burnaby, we are required to abide by the BC COVID-19 Orders and Notices and the Federal Health Guidelines. Our policies that aim to follow these orders are included below and may change at any time without notice. These policies apply regardless of any changes to the official Orders and Notices, where permitted.
- Wear a mask at all times including under your fursuit
- You must be fully vaccinated and show us government proof + matching ID
- Don’t eat or drink in public spaces unless explicitly permitted to
- Hotel rooms are private space so BE CAREFUL and set rules for others!
- By order of the provincial health order, no dancing is permitted, with exception to featured performers in our dance competition.
Attendees in the event space, hotel lobby, and public areas of the hotel are required to wear a disposable mask, or re-usable dual-layer mask, that fully covers the nose and mouth at all times. Those unable to wear a mask and given an exception based on the BC COVID-19 Orders and Notices are asked to wear a face shield that covers the nose and mouth.
Users of fursuit heads and costume masks must also wear a face mask that fully covers the nose and mouth inside the fursuit head and costume mask. A single layer balaclava face covering is not enough.
Infants and children under Kindergarten age are not required to wear masks.
If you are required to remove your mask at any time, unless explicitly permitted to do so, you must remove yourself from event space and public hotel space.
All potential attendees must show proof of vaccination that matches government-issued photo ID before they will be permitted to pick up a convention badge or enter selected panels and convention events. BC residents are required to show a BC Vaccine Card QR code that scans successfully. Alternate forms of proof may be considered but are not guaranteed.
Legal name and vaccination proof is used to confirm your vaccination and registration identity for badge pickup, entering selected panels, verifying age to vendors, purchasing alcohol from our cash bar, etc, and will not be required to be shown or used in convention space. However, it is recommended that you carry both with you at all times, including in fursuit.
Visitors to BC must show proof of full vaccination with a government approved vaccine against COVID-19 coronavirus. This proof must have your legal name on it and match with government-issued photo ID, such as a drivers license or passport.
Children under 12 years of age who are unable to receive a vaccination are permitted to attend but must be masked at all times like all other attendees, with exception to infants and children under kindergarten age, and parents must ensure these attendees maintain social distancing whenever possible.
If you are unsure of your vaccination status or need to confirm your potential for attendance in advance, contact email@example.com at least a day before the start of the event.
Attendees are not required to socially distance while masked and in event space. Social distancing is encouraged in hotel rooms or outdoors when face coverings may not always be worn.
Social distancing is required when eating or drinking in any common space where eating and drinking has been explicitly permitted by signage or staff.
Eating & Drinking
Eating and drinking is not permitted in any event space or public indoor hotel space unless explicitly permitted by signage or event and hotel staff. Safe places to eat or drink include your hotel room, outdoor spaces, or any private location outside of convention event space and public hotel space, the main theatre during the cabaret (hotel purchased items only), and designated areas in the fursuit headless lounge (costumers only). Please keep hotel entrances clear.
The hotel restaurant and bar will be open to vaccinated people for food and drink service and you are permitted to be unmasked while eating there. Outside food must not be consumed in event space or in the hotel lobby or public spaces.
Vendors with an approved table are permitted to eat and drink at their table but are requested to wear their mask whenever possible.
Due to the uncertain nature of Covid-19, if for any reason you are unable to attend Howloween, such as showing symptoms of Covid-19, unexpected travel restrictions, or safety concerns, you may request a refund or credit for your pre-registration attendance. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any requests before Nov 14th, 2021.
Hotel rooms, hallways, and the hotel lobby are not part of the Howloween event space and are not controlled by event policies, but are required to follow all hotel rules. Attendees not staying in the hotel are encouraged to stay in convention space for maximum safety.
Those who rent hotel rooms are strongly encouraged to check vaccination status and require masks to be worn by anyone entering their hotel room. The safety of those who enter your private hotel room are your responsibility and not the Hotel or the Convention. We suggest you keep track of those who enter your room (contact tracing). Should someone become ill, you can notify those people who attended that room that they should be checked for the virus, just in case.
Before entering a hotel room, for maximum safety, guests to hotel rooms should ensure that the room is checking vaccination status and requiring masks. Entering any hotel room is done at YOUR OWN RISK and is fully outside of convention control.
The provincial health orders currently in place in the province of British Columbia make it against the law to allow dancing by attendees at our event. The Dance Competition, being a dance performance, is excluded from this restriction, based on our understanding of the law. As such, unless you are a registered performer in the Dance Competition or an approved panelist making an approved presentation, and only during those specific events, no dancing is permitted. You will be asked to stop dancing if you are found to be doing so. Repeat offenders may have their membership revoked. (Please, please don’t make us ask you – it’s hard enough putting in this restriction as it is.)
PLEASE NOTE: Your log in to other conventions that run Convention Master will NOT work as they all have their own separate credentials. Trying to log in too many times will result in a temporary IP block. Try again later! If you have continuous issues, please contact Registration
SKELETON (Regular Pre-Reg) $30
General Entry/Badge for Event.
Guaranteed only if PAID by Nov 5th 2021 (Pre-reg closes)
WEREWOLF (Sponsor at the door) $60
General Entry/Badge for Event,
1 Tshirt Voucher, 1 Merch Voucher (Pin/Poster/Charm/Lanyard)
Guaranteed only if REGISTERED and PAID by Nov 5th, 2021
KAIJU (Patron at the door) $100
General Entry/Badge for Event,
1 Tshirt Voucher, 1 Merch Voucher (Pin/Poster/Charm/Lanyard)
SPECIAL ITEM (TBA)
Guaranteed only if REGISTERED and PAID by Nov 5th, 2021
*Pre-reg accepts Paypal/Credit Card & Mail-in Cheque/Money Order
ZOMBIE (At-Con Regular Reg) $35
General Entry/Badge for Event.
*At-con payments accepted: Cash, Credit, Interac Flash (tap)
Cash payment strongly preferred. USD cash accepted at par.
Government photo ID and proof of full vaccination (BC Vaccine card for BC residents) required to pick up your badge at con.
Where is Howloween?
Executive Hotel and Conference Center
4201 Lougheed Hwy.
Burnaby, B.C. V5C 3Y6
Please do not book with outside hotel booking websites. Our contract is based on hotel rooms booked under our booking ID, and we save you money! Things like parking and room occupancy are not always included. Can’t find a room? Email us at email@example.com and we’ll try our best to help!
Room block is open until 11:59 PM PST Oct 12th!
(Con rate not guaranteed after Oct 12th!)
Please Note: Same as last year, room types are NOT guaranteed! However, all rooms will have at least 2 beds with one being a pullout queen.
Room Rates & Details
- $145 per night + taxes – Up to quad (4) occupancy
- Nearly all rooms have at least 2 beds – either 1 Queen/King + pullout Queen or two Doubles + pullout Queen
- Need a specific room/bed type? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your booking ID. THE HOTEL WILL NOT BE ASSIGNING ROOMS. We are!
- Valid Nov 11th-15th. Booking outside those days may affect your price.
- Hotel guests get free parking for 1 car. $15/day for extra or non-hotel guests.
- All rooms comes with a mini fridge, flat screen tv and wifi.
- You can cancel up to 48 hours before your reservation without penalty.
How to Book:
Make your reservation toll free at 1-800-590-3932 or at email@example.com (there is no website booking available) MAKE SURE to use booking ID: 29972 or you will not get the event rates! Room type is NOT guaranteed! If you need a specific room, book your room, and then email firstname.lastname@example.org If you email to book, they will ask for your credit card information over email and we do NOT recommend this. You will be required to give a credit card number for your booking! If this is an issue please contact Hotel@Howloween.ca
Hotel room block officially closed. Want a room? Need to cancel yours? Email us at email@example.com
Due to the currently active pandemic, party rooms are not possible. However, you are permitted to have guests over in accordance with the COVID19 Public Health Orders in BC for gatherings. We strongly recommend limiting guests to your room, keeping track of everyone who enters your room for contact tracing, requiring masks, and checking for vaccinations.
Having issues reserving? Please email Hotel@howloween.ca
NOTE: We are sharing the hotel space with other groups and as such, we are expecting the parking lot to get full between our groups. Please read below for more options
HOTEL lot parking is free for ONE VEHICLE, for those with hotel rooms.
Non-hotel guest/extra vehicles:
- $2.25 per hour (min 2 hours)
- $8 for the daytime (6am-6pm)
- $7 for the evening (6pm-6am)
- $15 for 24 hours.
Purchase it from the front desk (Do not use the machines!)
Please take note of the signs in the front parking, as some of the parking is reserved for the nearby establishments and you may get towed. There is also some paid street parking on the streets behind the hotel.
Nearby Non-Convention Parking
*The convention nor the hotel is responsible for this parking lot, it’s information (or changes to it) or anything else and is only posted as a courtesy. Please check out WestPark‘s site for all up to date info, how to pay, etc.
WestPark Lot 048
Lougheed Commerce Court, 4180 Lougheed Hwy, Burnaby, BC
24 hours per day, 7 days per week
Pay-By-Phone Monthly, Daily, Hourly, Evening
- 1 Hour C$3.00 / 24 Hours C$16.00
- Daytime C$11.75 (6am to 6pm)
- Evening C$3.50 (In after 6pm Out by 6am)
- Overnight C$5.50 (In after 6pm Out by 8 am)
Our hotel has a great restaurant in the lobby, Acqua, that includes a pub that serves mixed drinks and beer.
Open Daily: 6:30am-9:30am breakfast, 4:00pm-10:00pm dinner
Happy Hour: 4 pm to 6 pm & 9 pm to close.
Menu & more: http://acquarestaurantandbar.com/
Howloween is run entirely by volunteers. We are always looking for more helping hands for the event. Whether it be for the Art Team, Badge checkers, Registration, Load-in/Load-out, etc.
If you are interested please fill out the following:
Under 15 years of age? A parent/guardian is required to attend and volunteer with you (they get a free badge) and must fill out our Minor Attendance form AND our Minor Volunteer form and have the first ready when registering/picking up badges at the event, the second when signing in to volunteer.
Registration: Part of a team working to register attendees for the event and sell event merchandise.
Rangers: A team that ensures that those entering event space are officially registered guests & helps with questions and concerns.
Logistics: Our load-in and load-out team, responsible for bringing all the gear to and from the event.
IT: Tech-savvy folks who can help setup equipment and other event infrastructure.
General Volunteers: Those who aren’t sure what they want to do or are happy to help with whatever our needs are at the time.
- Hours: Friday 5:00 PM to 11 PM & Saturday 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM
- Vendors setup time starts 1 hour before scheduled opening time, or 30 minutes before half day start time.
Please note: Vendors from outside of Canada should also make sure that they are in compliance with the requirements to sell their wares in Canada. (There are no temporary business license requirements to sell in BC.)
- Table Size: 6’ x 24”. 1 table max, per vendor due to limited space.
- Cost: $25 for Fri / $35 Sat. Half day Saturday $20
- The event does not provide WiFi service. Hotel WiFi is available but cannot be guaranteed.
- People who apply before the event will get priority.
- Please do not leave your wares unattended. We will not be held responsible if things go missing.
- The artist alley is not in a secure location. Badged and non-badged customers will have access to your booth, including members of the public.
- You will be required to take down your setup and take your belongings with you when you leave, so plan accordingly.
- Please inform the artist alley lead if you are leaving or if you need to step away for a moment. If you leave your table for more than 30 mins without informing the lead, we will assume you have left, and will let a waitlisted person know a table is open.
- Electricity is not guaranteed but we will attempt to provide. Please contact us about this.
- Be sure to read our Code of Conduct
How to pick up your table
- At con, please pick up your registration badge.
If you have not yet paid for your registration, you will pay at-con reg prices at reg.
- Please pay cash for your table to the Artist Alley lead.
How to get a table at the event
- Full tables are $25 Fri / $35 Sat / $20 half-day Sat – Cash only
- Drop-in signups are possible while there are available tables. Not all tables will be reserved! Full tables only this year.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Vendor hour options
You may choose all day, or if you only want to do a partial day, there is the morning, and evening schedule.
- $25 – Friday: 5pm – 9pm
- $35 – Saturday All Day: 10am – 9pm
- $20 – Saturday Early: 10am – 3pm
- $20 – Saturday Late: 4pm – 9pm
Events and Schedule
*NOTE* Registration opens at 9:30am on Saturday!
Schedule provided by Convention Services Support
Are you a dancer? Want to strut your stuff on our dance floor for everyone to see, and maybe even win a prize? Enter our dance competition! (Virtual applications also accepted.)
Code of Conduct
Subject to change
All attendees must adhere to these rules! The Howloween Event is a private function being held in a public hotel and all guests are expected to uphold a certain level of respect and courtesy in order to maintain their access to the event space. Event space access is a privilege, not a right. We ask that you do only things that others would find acceptable in any public setting. Use your common sense!
At the event holders’ discretion, guests may be denied entry to the event space with no chance of refund of event contributions for any failure to abide by the following requirements, as well as any additional requirements determined at the event holders’ discretion:
- You must agree to and follow all requirements for Coronavirus safety, as laid out in our Covid19 Policy and the BC COVID-19 Orders and Notices, including the most recent version of this notice.
- Are you wearing makeup/body paint/etc? Please be careful when interacting with your surroundings, including other costumers and fursuiters! Makeup and paint can stain other costumes, walls, tables/tablecloths, etc!
- Unless you have purchased a table in our Artist Alley, There is NO exchanging of money or selling of -any- products in event space whatsoever!
- No illegal substances of any kind are permitted in the event space or hotel proximity.
- Costumes and clothing must be acceptable for public viewing and should not be overly revealing or suggestive in nature, at the event holders’ discretion.
- Be considerate! Inappropriate conduct towards attendees, hotel guests or staff will result in immediate expulsion and possible ban from future events.
- Any rude, obscene, discriminatory, or sexual behaviour in the event space or public hotel areas will not be tolerated.
- No outside alcohol is permitted in the event space.
- Alcohol is only to be consumed by those guests 19 years of age or older. Providing alcohol to underage guests is not permitted and is grounds for immediate expulsion from the event with NO exceptions.
- All hotel conduct requirements must be followed by all guests, including any in conflict with the requirements listed here. Any actions taken by the hotel in response to a breach of hotel conduct will be supported by event staff and reflected by the event.
- Room parties are not permitted unless coordinated with the event holders and/or hotel staff.
- USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!